Nigerian Chapman is an easy cocktail drink with a nice blend of fruity flavours.
Ingredients for Nigerian Chapman drink
The following should be used for 2 classic dimpled mugs of chapman:
– ½ cup Grenadine Syrup
– A few dashes of Angostura Aromatic Bitters™
– 35 cl Fanta Orange
– 35 cl Sprite
– ½ an Orange
– ½ a lemon
– Ice cubes
Feel free to add any citrus and other fruits of your choice: cucumber, strawberry, orange, lemon, lime, even bananas. I used the following:
– ½ an orange
– ½ a lemon
– ½ a cucumber
Notes on the Ingredients and alternatives
1. Grenadine Syrup gives the drink its classic red colour. You can buy this at your local supermarket or on Amazon websites as listed below. If you can’t find Grenadine Syrup, you can use red currant (extract the juice) or pomegranate but these don’t give the drink the same taste.
2. Ribena concentrated blackcurrant adds to the red colour and gives the drink a sweetened taste but it is optional. Concentrated Ribena blackcurrant is easily available in Nigeria and your local supermarkets anywhere in the world.
3. You can make your ice cubes with a mixture of the Fanta and the Sprite. This is so that your drink does not go flat as is the case when the ice cubes are made with water.
4. Even though the Nigerian chapman contains a very small quantity of alcohol, I know there are those who will like to make a version that does not contain any trace of alcohol. If you want to make that, you can skip the Angostura Bitters but I warn you, the Nigerian Chapman will not be the same without Angostura Bitters. 🙂
5. Wondering other recipes you can use the remaining Angostura Bitters for? You can use it in cookies, cakes, ice cream, salads and other cocktail drinks. Or you can just keep it and use for Chapman, it does not expire in a hurry.
6.You can buy Angostura Bitters from all big food and beverages shops in Nigeria, in your local super markets and on Amazon websites.
Tools Used In Making The Chapman